one room challenge linking event week two: paint and the pilgrimage of the chintz

4.10.2014

Well that week went by fast! I suppose time flies when you are participating in Calling it Home's One Room Challenge Linking Event while simultaneously participating in your own personal one room challenge...in every. other. room of your house. But who am I kidding--a whole house to decorate? It's a good problem to have! As a matter of fact, it's not a problem at all--it's my dream come true! But for now I am focusing on my office, so on to the main event:


Last week I tried to convince you that I was going to turn this...well--part of this:


Into this:



Ta-da!

And while I still have a looong way to go, I have made some progress since my last post! Or at least my painters have...:


Buh-bye ugly brown paint!

I decided to go with with a subtle cream as a canvas of sorts since the rest of the room will be anything but subtle. And when picking the paint color, I also had to consider the Kelly Wearstler Imperial Trellis which I plan to hang on an accent wall--after all, the sole purpose of this paint is to compliment the Imperial Trellis ;) Poor paint...




Nothing too exciting yet, but an improvement nonetheless...

Moving right along, back in January I posted about my mother's Lee Jofa "Althea" sofa and chairs. Then in last week's post, I reiterated how much I love these pieces--not only for their festive floral pattern, but because they remind me of my childhood home, all of the fond memories that took place in it, and--of course--my mother. And it doesn't hurt that chintz is making a comeback (although for some of us, it never went out. Yeah--you know who you are).

When my father turned what was once our primary residence into a beach home a few years ago, the chintz and other formal furnishings became relegated to a closed-off section of the house (hence no photos of the chintz in its original habitat). Sad. 

I couldn't bare to see this beautiful set buried under boxes, basically serving as a shelf for other antiques, etc.--nobody puts chintz in the corner! So with permission from my father (but really from my four older sisters), I rescued it, which became quite a feat considering the rescue required moving it off of the boat-access-island on which we only drive golf carts. Luckily I know people, and after a few phone calls, a pick-up truck showed-up at our door, no questions asked ;) 

But the pick-up was just the beginning of the pilgrimage of the chintz:


Down the dirt road (as you can see, the pick-up was a lot faster than the golf-cart we were in)...


...and to the dock!


And waiting for the ferry: 

 

And still waiting for the ferry:



Getting loaded to go to its new home!

 

Nothing to see here:

  

And finally, back in civilization!


After a thorough cleaning, the chintz is happy in its new home and gets lots of love (since it still makes-up most of the furniture we have so far...).

Next-up I have been busy buying new furniture for my office (and the rest of our home), too!

First and foremost, I finally ordered my desk!


I am in love with this desk for two reasons: 

1) It is stylish
2) It is cheap

The only problem? It is backordered! After months of being unavailable, I was only just able to place an advance order online and I am very anxious that it won't arrive in time for my big reveal. I ordered it at the beginning of the week, it will not be stocked for another two weeks, and then it takes two-to-three weeks to "process" before shipping, so it will definitely be tight! :-/ No pressure, right?! I mean--who needs a desk in an office anyway?! Pffft.

On a happier note, my brand new desk chair has already arrived!


Yes--you read right--I found the chair (for under $100!) from Staples online! Très chic--I know, but desperate time calls for desperate measures! ;)

The chair and it's fabulous new fuzzy chair cover all the way from Poland are temporarily serving a term in our master bedroom until they are reassigned in a few weeks:


So the office is coming along slowly but surely, like the rest of the house. And as soon as my office is set-up, I will be able to blog about the rest of the house! Comfortably. From a chair. And hopefully a desk...

In the meantime, be sure to check out the other 83(!) talented linking participants and their beautiful plans, and then come back next week to see the chintz chairs in all of their glory and the Kelly Wearstler Imperial Trellis wallpaper! I will also discuss other furniture for the office and how I plan to create some separation between the master bedroom and the new office, which was originally intended to be a sitting room off of the master.

Until then...

31 comments:

Wendy C said...

What a great story. I love that the chintz was your mum's. What you have is a high quality problem! The best type to have.

Unknown said...

I love the chintz! That set will be perfect for your space, what a deal! Excited to see more next week :)

Coulda shoulda woulda said...

That is hilarious!!! it's like the modern version of around the world or something! I love how the sofa looks great anywhere it lands :)

Casa Vilora Interiors said...

This is great! I love the design plan. I chuckled at the chairs and sofa on the ferry

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

It's a love story for chintz furniture. This is coming along, and your desk is perfect.

mrs. V | Chez V said...

You know I love a good cause and one that involves rescuing chintz from an obscure future littered with dust bunnies and beautiful, but forgotten has-beens is one that I can get behind. Great story!

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

I love the chintz. It is achingly gorgeous! My great-grandmother made all of her own curtains and chintz slipcovers and no one saved them :( It is so nice that you rescued these.

Thehouseofhampton said...

I felt like I was waiting for the ferry with you! Lol great story of the great lengths we go to when were on a mission. And thank you big sisters for allowing this chintz to shine! Score on the chair for your office!!! Looking forward to next Thursday.
Sharon

House of Pemberley said...

This absolutely made me LOL. Nobody puts chintz in the corner. Classic. This room will be amazing!

kate@willowinteriors said...

I can't believe what u have to do to get a little chintz in your life! :) Well worth it! And I love the desk!

Stacey {steward of design} said...

Everything is coming along nice. What a great deal on that chair and I love that desk.

Tiffany said...

Nobody puts chintz in a corner indeed. Love the desk and I have that chair. Did something similar with something from Ikea. It's really cozy.

Unknown said...

Emilie every time I see these gorgeous chintz pieces my heart does a happy dance! So excited for you!!

Eris @ The Pink House Reno said...

Emilie, painting that brown paint would've made my heart flutter as well! Love the rescue story and the desk. Love mixing sentimental and new :)

Linda Pakravan said...

What a rescue! That Althea print is heaven. Love this story!

Stacey said...

Love the chintz and its story! Beautiful desk too! Can't wait to see more!

Andrea said...

"The pilgrimage of the chintz"... haha, I LOVE it!! So glad you rescued these exquisite pieces, and I cannot wait to see what you have in mind for the sofa as well! I love everything you have selected! Your office is going to be so chic, and in one of my favorite color combinations to boot!

XOXO,
The Glam Pad

StagerLinda said...

I love that you were able to reclaim your mom's furniture. The story adds to the special flavor your office will have. Can't wait to see the final product!!

aquahaus said...

The pilgrimage of the chintz and accompanying photos are the best thing I've seen all week. And can never go wrong with KW paper. xoxo

Unknown said...

I LOVE the fact your chintz pieces had to hang out on the dock till the ferry arrived! Now that's a story!! I love it!! Your plan is #amaze #fab your entire plan looks fantastic !!!! Can't wait to follow it!!!! Good luck !!! :) Lance @ Parker Kennedy

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

I love that you rescued the chintz, how meaningful it will be to have it in your home and what a great story to get it there!

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

I totally cracked up over the traveling chairs. I LOVE them. They are certainly worth the trip. I'm dyting to see how this comes out. Love your plan.

Improvement List said...

That is quite an adventure for furniture to take;) The walls look great, and I am looking forward to checking out the rest of the space. I will keep my fingers crossed for you that the desk comes in in time...and if not there is always photoshop I guess!

Unknown said...

So fun that your furniture is finding it's new residence at your home! I love the Josephine desk and was thinking about it in blue or white for my office. However, with two little girls constantly getting into our current desk, I've realized we need one with more drawers. I'm jealous you'll have it in your new office. Fingers crossed it will arrive in time!

Anonymous said...

Hi Emilie--love the chair! I never would have thought Staples would have such chic furniture. Great find!

Anonymous said...

Hi Emilie--love the chair! I never would have thought that Staples has such chic furniture. Great find!

Krista @ Goodwill Glam said...

I love the Chintz! What a great story! Can't wait to see more!

XO,
Krista
www.goodwillglam.com

sheerserendipity said...

It's great that you can incorporate your mother's chintz into your new office! It just makes it that more special! Love the desk and that chair!

Unknown said...

Your chintz chairs certainly have had a grand adventure! I know they are going to love their new home! I have always liked the Josephine desk...simple and stylish. I just clicked on the World Market link and it said the table was in stock and ready to ship, so hopefully yours will be on it's way soon! Elle

The Pink Clutch said...

I love every single thing about your post. I absolutely love that you are rescuing something dear to your heart to use and love in your brand new home. Your mother would be so proud and you will love seeing them and her in your precious new space. I am catching up on reading all the bloggers and you, by far, are my new favorite!!! xo

Anonymous said...

Thank you for naming the chintz so I could source it. I've been looking for chintz for months and there's very little on the market that isn't hideous. I just sent for swatches!

 
Blogging tips